Defend Red & Black Cafe. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-06-04).
My friend William Gillis writes to me: For over a decade I’ve frequented The Red & Black Cafe in Portland – an IWW, explicitly anarchist, worker-owned coop – and over the years they’ve faced all the sort of police harassment and surveillance you’d expect for a venue catering to radical...(Linked Saturday 2010-06-05.)
My central air is finally fixed! Praise Jeebus! drunkenatheist, Drunkenatheist (2010-06-05).
After a month and a half of fighting with our landlord (and sending off frantic emails to our realtor), the HVAC crew came out and cleaned our compression doo-dad. Now, I think it might be possible to cut glass with my nipples. (I’ll refrain from letting loose with a “hallelujah”...(Linked Sunday 2010-06-06.)
Rand Paul Petition. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-06-06).
If you’re interested in signing a petition asking Rand Paul to support Red & Black Café’s right to bar cops from their premises, click here. (I don’t know how thrilled the Café would be with Paul’s support – but I doubt they’re at much risk of getting it ….)(Linked Sunday 2010-06-06.)
Electoral Race. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-05-19).
Just saw Rand Paul on Rachel Maddow’s show doing a not very good job of explaining his opposition to anti-discrimination laws. Paul did make a few good points – like the one about how the liberal case for forcibly desegregating private restaurants backfires by bolstering the conservative policy of forbidding...(Linked Thursday 2010-05-20.)
Defensive Driving. Daily Brickbats (2010-05-20). Cops are here to keep you safe. (Cont'd.) (Linked Thursday 2010-05-20.)
DarianWorden.com» Blog Archive » Against Borders Pamphlet. darianworden.com (2010-05-12).
A new pamphlet, Against Borders, has been posted on libertyactivism.info. It includes a 1-page individualist anarchist view on state borders, my Center for a Stateless Society commentary Escalating the War on Freedom, a New Jersey Alliance of the Libertarian Left statement, and a Nation article by Jacqueline Stevens. Download, print,...(Linked Wednesday 2010-05-12.)
Serving Two Masters. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-05-13).
According to the latest LP press release: Elena Kagan is another bad pick for the Supreme Court. If confirmed, it is likely that she will vote on cases with the intent of advancing political policy goals. Kagan will probably vote to advance liberal policy goals, just as some other justices...(Linked Thursday 2010-05-13.)
- ★ What if Flash Were an Open Standard? John Gruber, Daring Fireball (2010-02-01).
Some good questions from Dave Winer regarding Apple, Adobe, and Flash: What if Apple were trying to erase something that’s not company-owned? Either a formal or de facto standard? Further, what if their alternative were something that was locked-down and owned by a company? Further, what if the company was...(Linked Monday 2010-02-01.)
- Campaign finance reform is pretty simple. John, Blagnet.net (2010-01-24).
Many of my friends and millions of people in the blogosphere/social-mediasphere have expressed their outrage and indignation at the Supreme Court’s ruling that corporations can spend as much as they want to promote or oppose whatever political candidates or causes that they want. One of my friends said she was...(Linked Tuesday 2010-02-02.)
- Food Trucks Get Booted - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine. reason.com (2010-02-02). The War on the Informal Sector (Cont'd.): Government Force Vs. Affordable Lunch (Linked Tuesday 2010-02-02.)
- DS Web: Lunar Compression Artifacts. Diesel Sweeties webcomic by rstevens (2010-02-02). (Linked Wednesday 2010-02-03.)
- 30 is the New 20: Might the Brain Follow? der Blaustrumpf (2010-02-03). Perpetual State of Supervision and its consequences. Cheryl Cline drops some philosophy on pop "brain science" in the press. Also, via the psychologist Richard Epstein: "American teens are subjected to more than 10 times as many restrictions as mainstream adults, twice as many restrictions as active-duty U.S. Marines, and even twice as many as incarcerated felons." (Linked Wednesday 2010-02-03.)
- The Atrocity of Hope, Part 7: Our Ignoble Laureate. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2009-12-11).
So our President Incarnate, his hands dripping (metaphorically – I’m sure he washes them regularly) with the blood of Pakistani and Afghan children, along with shredded bits of the principles of Nuremberg, jets off to Norway to accept a prize that is supposed to be awarded only to those who...(Linked Friday 2009-12-11.)