Electoral Race. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-05-19).
Just saw Rand Paul on Rachel Maddow’s show doing a not very good job of explaining his opposition to anti-discrimination laws. Paul did make a few good points – like the one about how the liberal case for forcibly desegregating private restaurants backfires by bolstering the conservative policy of forbidding...(Linked Thursday 2010-05-20.)
Defensive Driving. Daily Brickbats (2010-05-20). Cops are here to keep you safe. (Cont'd.) (Linked Thursday 2010-05-20.)
DarianWorden.com» Blog Archive » Against Borders Pamphlet. darianworden.com (2010-05-12).
A new pamphlet, Against Borders, has been posted on libertyactivism.info. It includes a 1-page individualist anarchist view on state borders, my Center for a Stateless Society commentary Escalating the War on Freedom, a New Jersey Alliance of the Libertarian Left statement, and a Nation article by Jacqueline Stevens. Download, print,...(Linked Wednesday 2010-05-12.)
Serving Two Masters. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-05-13).
According to the latest LP press release: Elena Kagan is another bad pick for the Supreme Court. If confirmed, it is likely that she will vote on cases with the intent of advancing political policy goals. Kagan will probably vote to advance liberal policy goals, just as some other justices...(Linked Thursday 2010-05-13.)
- ★ What if Flash Were an Open Standard? John Gruber, Daring Fireball (2010-02-01).
Some good questions from Dave Winer regarding Apple, Adobe, and Flash: What if Apple were trying to erase something that’s not company-owned? Either a formal or de facto standard? Further, what if their alternative were something that was locked-down and owned by a company? Further, what if the company was...(Linked Monday 2010-02-01.)
- Campaign finance reform is pretty simple. John, Blagnet.net (2010-01-24).
Many of my friends and millions of people in the blogosphere/social-mediasphere have expressed their outrage and indignation at the Supreme Court’s ruling that corporations can spend as much as they want to promote or oppose whatever political candidates or causes that they want. One of my friends said she was...(Linked Tuesday 2010-02-02.)
- Food Trucks Get Booted - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine. reason.com (2010-02-02). The War on the Informal Sector (Cont'd.): Government Force Vs. Affordable Lunch (Linked Tuesday 2010-02-02.)
- DS Web: Lunar Compression Artifacts. Diesel Sweeties webcomic by rstevens (2010-02-02). (Linked Wednesday 2010-02-03.)
- 30 is the New 20: Might the Brain Follow? der Blaustrumpf (2010-02-03). Perpetual State of Supervision and its consequences. Cheryl Cline drops some philosophy on pop "brain science" in the press. Also, via the psychologist Richard Epstein: "American teens are subjected to more than 10 times as many restrictions as mainstream adults, twice as many restrictions as active-duty U.S. Marines, and even twice as many as incarcerated felons." (Linked Wednesday 2010-02-03.)
- The Atrocity of Hope, Part 7: Our Ignoble Laureate. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2009-12-11).
So our President Incarnate, his hands dripping (metaphorically – I’m sure he washes them regularly) with the blood of Pakistani and Afghan children, along with shredded bits of the principles of Nuremberg, jets off to Norway to accept a prize that is supposed to be awarded only to those who...(Linked Friday 2009-12-11.)
- Hugo Mexicano. Austro-Athenian Empire (2009-10-11). in which Roderick reviews Juarez -- one of my stronger memories from high-school Spanish. (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- Dyer Lum on Mutualism, and a note on Proudhon. Shawn P. Wilbur, In the Libertarian Labyrinth (2009-10-02).
I'm working on gathering the pieces for a series of pamphlets documenting the mutualist tradition, and ran across this rather strange, but very interesting piece, but the frequently strange, but always interesting Dyer D. Lum. Tucker's translation of the first volume of The System of Economical Contradictions was published in...(Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- diveintomark: "Dive Into Python" has now earned me over $10,000 in royalties, despite being Free and online for 8 years. Twitter / diveintomark (2009-10-11). But without Intellectual Protectionism laws, how would anyone ever make a living writing books? (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- Keene, the Peaceful Civil-Disobedience Apex. James B Schlessinger Jr, Fr33 Agents (2009-10-08).
Activists light up a marijuana cigarette in the Keene Police Station James B Schlessinger Jr. October 5th, 2009 Words on paper are not stopping activists and locals from living like free people in Keene, New Hampshire. Whether it is marijuana consumption on the Commons or a young woman going topless...(Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- The Good Old Days. Jill, Feministe (2009-10-11).
This article will make you lose your lunch. The idea is that sex with children is more taboo today than it was in Roman Polanski’s era — thanks to victims’ rights groups and a family values revival. The evidence? Well, Polanski himself, and this one Woody Allen movie. The article...(Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- Anarchist Elliot Madison wrongfully arrested, robbed. John, Blagnet.net (2009-10-06).
In a continuation of law-enforcement agencies’ general disdain for and dismissal of our civil liberties, Elliot Madison, a self-described anarchist, was arrested for using Twitter and a police scanner to help G20 protesters coordinate their efforts and avoid police officers. The charges on which he was held don’t indicate any...(Linked Monday 2009-10-12.)
- A Shocking Development. Daily Brickbats (2009-09-14).
Two Gwinnett County police sergeants have resigned and Cpl. Gary Miles has been arrested after Miles allegedly used a Taser on a Waffle House waiter as a joke. The sergeants reportedly saw the incident and did not report it. The department is investigating claims a fourth officer pointed a Taser...(Linked Monday 2009-10-12.)
- Ending the Cycle. Daily Brickbats (2009-10-12). Green Government in a nutshell. (Linked Monday 2009-10-12.)