i just want to express my support for what julian assange is. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2010-06-17).
i just want to express my support for what julian assange is doing with wikileaks. listening to the msm, you'd think it was obvious that videos of america's heroes slaughtering civilians should be kept secret. um, why exactly? i guess i could see how some information should be kept secret, though…(Linked Saturday 2010-06-19.)
There is no libertarian case for restricted immigration. Less, Anarchy Without Bombs (2010-06-19).
It is almost 30 years to the day since Libertarian Party Presidential Nominee Ed Clark set off a firestorm of criticism within the party for indicating that he didn't think free immigration should be immediately adopted. One of the strongest criticisms came in a post-mortem of that campaign by Mr….(Linked Saturday 2010-06-19.)
Bobbing Along on the Beautiful Briny Sea. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-06-19).
From the "you can't make this stuff up" department: [BP CEO Tony] Hayward took a break from overseeing the energy giant's efforts to contain the undersea leak so he could watch his 52-foot yacht "Bob" participate in the J. P. Morgan Asset Management Round the Island Race. If you put…(Linked Saturday 2010-06-19.)
The Machinery of Freedom now online! Less, Anarchy Without Bombs (2010-06-18).
More than 30 years ago, the first edition of David Friedman's The Machinery of Freedom was the book that first made me comfortable calling myself an anarchist. The second edition, from 1989, has been out of print for a while, but David has just put online a complete copy of…(Linked Saturday 2010-06-19.)
Homebrew Industrial Revolution: A Low-Overhead Manifesto. Kevin Carson, Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism (2010-06-15).
The Homebrew Industrial Revolution: A Low-Overhead Manifesto is now available in hard copy format. The eBook version is here.(Linked Saturday 2010-06-19.)
Three more officers fired – Burbank Leader. police excessive force – Google News (2010-06-18).
Three more officers fired / Burbank Leader / All of the officers were fired for allegedly acting improperly or using excessive force. While some of the alleged misconduct occurred during the robbery …(Linked Saturday 2010-06-19.)
Louis Armstrong death metal version of “What a Wonderful World” Mark Frauenfelder, Boing Boing (2010-06-16).
(Thanks, Adam!)(Linked Sunday 2010-06-20.)
What We Read When We Don't Read the Internet PRESENTS! Au Revoir, Pretty Horses; Or, Why I Don't Read Man Books Any More. Tiger Beatdown (2010-06-20). “Some more telling characteristics of Manfiction: … 2. Male characters cannot communicate with their sons, brothers, and fathers. Or anybody else, really; but they are particularly hampered in inter-man relationships (this is important to emphasize regularly, because the only men who are capable of talking in polysyllabic phrases to other men are gay, and the only thing less manly than writing thoughtfully about women is writing about gays. An inability to communicate is the literary equivalent of the empty seat between two dudes in a movie theater). Instead of communicating the men will drink a lot, commit random acts of violence, beat their sons or pets, and drive around in trucks without speaking. These men do not have daughters.” (Linked Sunday 2010-06-20.)
- The Hong Kong of Africa? Jesse Walker, Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-01-08).
I don't know much about Bouake, the second largest metropolis in the Ivory Coast, but as peace establishes itself in that formerly war-torn country the BBC makes it sound like the city is heading in the right direction: Bouake is the ex-rebel capital of "Soroland", as the zone is sometimes…(Linked Friday 2010-01-08.)
- $250 fine for waving one's hands. Don't Tase Me, Bro! (2010-01-08). The War on the Informal Sector (Cont’d) / Waving While Latino. In which socioeconomic cleansing meets international apartheid, as the arbitrary government over the town of Oyster Bay, New York, proposes to inflict $250 fines on local residents working as day laborers, if they “solicit employment” in public, which can mean just about anything, including, but not limited to, “shouting at cars, waving arms or signs, making hand signals, approaching motor vehicles or standing in public roads facing in the direction of oncoming traffic.” Of course, both the intent and the practical effect of the law is to provide government police with another weapon in their legal arsenal to harass and threaten peaceful immigrant workers, in a deliberate effort to drive them out of public spaces. (Linked Friday 2010-01-08.)
- Border thugs are thugs around the world, hate people & computers. Xaq Fixx, Everyone's Blog Posts – FR33 Agents (2009-12-15).
I am sorry we blew up your laptop, Welcome to Israel Woman went to Israel and when they didn’t like they way she answered questions they shot her laptop, 3 times, saying it might have been a bomb. click the link at the top for the full sotry. They have…(Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- How would Michael Palin say "Quod erat demonstrandum"? 360 (2010-01-09).
The letters QED (or the unabbreviated "quod erat demonstrandum" ["which is what was to be proved"]) are often used to indicate the end of a formal proof. This longstanding tradition goes back to a style of proof writing, where the culminating sentence of the argument gives a recapitulation of the…(Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- The Big Blue Crime Wave. William Grigg, LewRockwell.com Blog (2010-01-08).
Amid a world-historic economic collapse and the emergence of a fully-orbed doctrine of official impunity, an increasing percentage of those hired by the State to protect "public safety" are freelancing as undisguised criminals. Spacer Rapist on Patrol: Marcus Jackson, a patrol officer with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department, was arrested last…(Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- Perverted Police. LewRockwell.com Blog (2010-01-09). Rapists on patrol. (Cont’d, cont’d, cont’d.) Trigger alert. (Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- "Keep 'em coming!" Nevada Prison Watch (2010-01-09). Anarchist Communications: “The latest Prison Action Newsletter, of January 2010, is out now!” (Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- Big Lebowski rewritten as a work of Shakespeare. Xeni Jardin, Boing Boing (2010-01-08).
“The knave abideth.” Sweet baby Jesus, the attention to detail in this sucker is just mindblowing! What a thing of beauty. Here’s the carpet-staining scene: WOO: Rise, and speak wisely, man–but hark; I see thy rug, as woven i’the Orient, A treasure from abroad. I like it not. I’ll stain…(Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- Spare the taser spoil the toddler. Don't Tase Me, Bro! (2010-01-09). Men In Uniform (Cont’d.) Officer Kevin McCann, Dellroy Police Department. Dellroy, Ohio. Officer Kevin McCann was arrested in Canton on assault charges, for torturing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter and 2-year-old son using a wooden paddle and a “Taser-like device.” The abuse was discovered after the children were taken to the hospital with marks and bruises. (Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- Claiborne grand jury will not hear testimony in shooting case – Shreveport Times. "Bernard Monroe" – Google News (2010-01-09). The white government cops who gunned down Bernard Monroe — an frail 73-year old black man in Homer, Louisiana, who was never accused of any crime, and who was gunned down in his own home at a family reunion — base the entire justification for the shooting on the claim that Monroe was holding a gun. About 14 eyewitnesses say that the police are lying, and that Monroe was holding nothing more dangerous than a water-bottle. Now that a government prosecutor has called a government grand jury to “investigate,” he won’t be calling any of those witnesses. I am sure that we can count on government to insist on objectivity and accountability for its own hired muscle in this case. (Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- Sumner on Experts. Will Wilkinson, Will Wilkinson (2009-12-29).
I agree: In the last year my respect for authority, which was never very high, has fallen to a new low. As I read each interview in the Big Think, it becomes more and more obvious that the experts don't have a clue as to what went wrong, nor how…(Linked Saturday 2010-01-09.)
- Easterly, Acton, and Visionary Leadership. Art Carden, The Beacon (2010-01-09).
In prepping for my appearance on Radio Free Market this afternoon I've done some thinking about society's search for Great Leaders and Great Men. This made me think about a recent post on Aid Watch by William Easterly that everyone should read and a few passages in Democracy in Deficit,…(Linked Sunday 2010-01-10.)
- Man Threatened by Gang for Giving Water to Neighbors. Fr33 Agents (2010-01-10). The Border Police State Vs. Private Property and Human Kindness (Linked Sunday 2010-01-10.)
- They Could Be Twins. Daily Brickbats (2010-01-10). Oops, Our Bad. (Cont’d.) (Linked Sunday 2010-01-10.)
- I Don't Feel Truant. Daily Brickbats (2010-01-10). Perpetual State of Supervision (Cont’d) (Linked Sunday 2010-01-10.)
- Never Enough. Daily Brickbats (2010-01-10). Sado-statism Vs. Human Decency and Grieving Widows in Alabama (Linked Sunday 2010-01-10.)