Are you serious?
- one correlate of the idea that time is progressive and that we. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2009-10-04).
one correlate of the idea that time is progressive and that we are it which should give progressives pause is the way the idea has articulated cultures. so, for example, hegel held that africa had no history, was outside of history. in anthropology into the midlate twentieth century, you got... (Linked Saturday 2009-10-17.)
- it's amazing that when people discuss genocide, as in daniel. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2009-10-17).
it's amazing that when people discuss genocide, as in daniel goldhagen's new book (at least as it's represented in the review; i intend to read it), or in the alternative views mentioned in the review ('“Mobilizing the Will to Intervene,” a study by leading Canadian and American figures, identifies “poverty... (Linked Saturday 2009-10-17.)
- Economies of Scale in Compliance, by David Henderson. EconLog (2009-10-11).
This morning, after a highly-productive Liberty Fund seminar in Santa Fe, I went over to Pasquale's for breakfast. I sat with a woman who runs a Mexican restaurant in a small town in Colorado. We talked about various things, including her criticism of "factory farms" that, in her view and... (Linked Saturday 2009-10-17.)
- The Pill makes you attracted to pansies. Jill, Feministe (2009-10-13).
Or so says perpetually off-kilter Jill Stanek — except she uses the term “quiche-eaters.” Basically, a study says that women who use birth control tend to be attracted to men with more boyish features with caring personalities, versus “rugged” men with controlling personalities. The study itself is questionable, and the... (Linked Saturday 2009-10-17.)
- RRND/FND Bleg. Kn@ppster, KN@PPSTER (2009-09-16).
I don't usually talk much about my day job here at KN@PPSTER, and when we run a fundraiser over there I usually give it at most a mention here. This one's a bit different and I figure it's a "hit hard, everywhere" situation. So:Dear readers,Over the years, we've tried various... (Linked Saturday 2009-10-17.)
- Berlusconi Hides Nipple of Truth. Kerry Howley, Kerry Howley: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2008-08-06).
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi likes the painting to the right, a Giambattista Tiepolo work called "La Verità Svelata dal Tempo." (The Truth Unveiled by Time.) He likes it so much that he gives news conferences with a reproduction of the painting as backdrop. Truth, the young woman, is front... (Linked Monday 2009-10-19.)
- A bad attitude -- the new felony. email@example.com (Wendy McElroy), WendyMcElroy.com : News (2009-10-16).
A bad attitude -- the new felony (Linked Monday 2009-10-19.)
- the best version of this story i read ended with the moral "some infinities are bigger than others". HOW TRUE. Dinosaur Comics (2009-10-19).
archive - contact - sexy exciting merchandise - search - about– ← previousOctober 19th, 2009nextOctober 19th, 2009: The talk went well! Or at least, I hope it did. A CONFESSION: I queued up all these comics and posts way back when it was last Wednesday, because I was worried I'd... (Linked Monday 2009-10-19.)
- Hugo Mexicano. Austro-Athenian Empire (2009-10-11). in which Roderick reviews Juarez -- one of my stronger memories from high-school Spanish. (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- Dyer Lum on Mutualism, and a note on Proudhon. Shawn P. Wilbur, In the Libertarian Labyrinth (2009-10-02).
I'm working on gathering the pieces for a series of pamphlets documenting the mutualist tradition, and ran across this rather strange, but very interesting piece, but the frequently strange, but always interesting Dyer D. Lum. Tucker's translation of the first volume of The System of Economical Contradictions was published in... (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- diveintomark: "Dive Into Python" has now earned me over $10,000 in royalties, despite being Free and online for 8 years. Twitter / diveintomark (2009-10-11). But without Intellectual Protectionism laws, how would anyone ever make a living writing books? (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- Keene, the Peaceful Civil-Disobedience Apex. James B Schlessinger Jr, Fr33 Agents (2009-10-08).
Activists light up a marijuana cigarette in the Keene Police Station James B Schlessinger Jr. October 5th, 2009 Words on paper are not stopping activists and locals from living like free people in Keene, New Hampshire. Whether it is marijuana consumption on the Commons or a young woman going topless... (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- The Good Old Days. Jill, Feministe (2009-10-11).
This article will make you lose your lunch. The idea is that sex with children is more taboo today than it was in Roman Polanski’s era — thanks to victims’ rights groups and a family values revival. The evidence? Well, Polanski himself, and this one Woody Allen movie. The article... (Linked Sunday 2009-10-11.)
- Anarchist Elliot Madison wrongfully arrested, robbed. John, Blagnet.net (2009-10-06).
In a continuation of law-enforcement agencies’ general disdain for and dismissal of our civil liberties, Elliot Madison, a self-described anarchist, was arrested for using Twitter and a police scanner to help G20 protesters coordinate their efforts and avoid police officers. The charges on which he was held don’t indicate any... (Linked Monday 2009-10-12.)
- A Shocking Development. Daily Brickbats (2009-09-14).
Two Gwinnett County police sergeants have resigned and Cpl. Gary Miles has been arrested after Miles allegedly used a Taser on a Waffle House waiter as a joke. The sergeants reportedly saw the incident and did not report it. The department is investigating claims a fourth officer pointed a Taser... (Linked Monday 2009-10-12.)
- Ending the Cycle. Daily Brickbats (2009-10-12). Green Government in a nutshell. (Linked Monday 2009-10-12.)