Why All Police Are Bad — for Society. Ademo Freeman, Cop Block (2010-12-30).
I’m often questioned about my stance on police which is fine — anyone who knows me is aware that I don’t mind sharing my thoughts. Oftentimes during the conversation I’m accused of being a “cop hater” or told that not all cops are bad. I understand the reasoning most people...(Linked Friday 2011-01-14.)
From the Downsize DC Foundation: The Dictator Fallacy. DownsizeDC.org (2011-01-13).
The Downsize DC Foundation's website, www.DownsizeDCFoundation.org, continues to grow. Today, we bring you one of those articles, from the Our Lexicon category . . . "The Dictator Fallacy" by Jim Babka fal·la·cy - * a misleading or unsound argument. * Logic. any of various types of erroneous reasoning that render...(Linked Saturday 2011-01-15.)
Nothing Natural about It. Sheldon Richman, Free Association (2011-01-15).
The sharp historical division between labor and capital ownership is not a natural emergent feature of the market economy but largely the conscious result of government privilege.Atom(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
Two Little Pigs: How Some Cops Get Jail While Others Go Free. Modesto Anarcho (2011-01-16). It's not that police "protect their own," exactly. It's that police protect their power. Rape your step daughter or get plastered and drive your car off the road, and you're well behind the blue wall. Do something that disrupts command and control within a prison, and the long knives come out. (Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
Kiva Lending Team: Anarchists for Empowerment. tolstoyscat, things along the way (2011-01-11).
Join here: Anarchists for EmpowermentKiva's mission is to connect people, through lending, for the sake of alleviating poverty. Kiva empowers individuals to lend to an entrepreneur across the globe. By combining microfinance with the internet, Kiva is creating a global community of people connected through lending.Anarchists for Empowerment: We loan...(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
Mistakes Were Made. Guns Were Pointed. A Family Was Terrorized. Pets Were Threatened. Radley Balko, Gangsters in Blue (2011-01-16).
The DEA has apologized for the wrong door raid in the Hudson Valley that I blogged about last week. Sort of. John P. Gilbride, special agent in charge of the Drug Enforcement Administration, issued a statement Friday clearing Spring Valley resident David McKay and his family of anything to do...(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
Why read about it when you can play? Shelley, MyTech (2011-01-16).
Earlier today I got into a friendly discussion and debate on Twitter about a new web site called W3Fools. The site bills itself as a "W3Schools intervention", and the purpose is to wake developers up to the fact that W3School tutorials can, and do, have errors. The problem with a...(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
The state begins in robbery; some patterns of robb... Gary Chartier, Comments on Free Association: Take It to the Limit (2011-01-08).
The state begins in robbery; some patterns of robbery are doubtless spontaneously ordered, but surely others are planned by groups of robbers.Once the state has been established and mechanisms for obtaining power have been regularized, it will surely be unsurprising if people who do obtain power are people who like...(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
The Semicolon Wars » American Scientist. www.americanscientist.org (2011-01-16).
I mock the pettiness of these squabbles—and I believe some of them deserve mocking—and yet I don't want to give the impression that only cosmetic issues are in dispute, or that programming languages are really all alike under the skin. On the contrary, what's most fascinating about programming languages is...(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
Let a million bookmarks bloom. l.m.orchard, 0xDECAFBAD (2010-12-19).
TL;DR: Don’t depend on Delicious; host your own, pay for it elsewhere, or hope for the best. Use real-time feeds to stitch the bookmarking diaspora back together into topical aggregate indexes. In the last entry, I wrote about why my use of Delicious has dropped over time, and what I’ve...(Linked Sunday 2011-01-16.)
- Operation Revelation. Jesse Walker, Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-03-05).
Here's the intro to a press release from the sheriff of Bossier Parish, Louisiana: Bossier Sheriff Larry Deen has unveiled a new emergency operations plan that will be a continuation of public safety in Bossier Parish should disaster ever strike here at home. The plan, known as Operation Exodus, will...(Linked Friday 2010-03-05.)
- apophenia » Blog Archive » ChatRoulette, from my perspective. www.zephoria.org (2010-03-06). " I love the way that it mixes things up. For most users of all ages – but especially teens – the Internet today is about socializing with people you already know. But I used to love the randomness of the Internet. I can’t tell you how formative it was for me to grow up talking to all sorts of random people online. So I feel pretty depressed every time I watch people flip out about the dangers of talking to strangers. Strangers helped me become who I was. Strangers taught me about a different world than what I knew in my small town. Strangers allowed me to see from a different perspective. Strangers introduced me to academia, gender theory, Ivy League colleges, the politics of war, etc. So I hate how we vilify all strangers as inherently bad. Did I meet some sketchballs on the Internet when I was a teen? DEFINITELY. They were weird; I moved on. And it used to be a lot harder to move on when everything was attached to an email that was paid for. So I actually think that the ChatRoulette version allows you to move on with greater ease, less guilt, and far more comfortably." (Linked Saturday 2010-03-06.)
- Two-Gun Mutualism and the Golden Rule - Part 3. Shawn P. Wilbur, Out of the Libertarian Labyrinth (2010-03-03).
“TWO-GUN” MUTUALISMand theGOLDEN RULE[continued] ARMED AND DANGEROUS Perhaps this has all taken a strangely martial turn, given mutualism’s generally peaceful reputation. Isn’t the core of mutualism the Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have others do unto you?” Yes, indeed. But there’s nothing simple about fulfilling the Golden Rule. The...(Linked Saturday 2010-03-06.)
- Raspberry Cliché Jesse Walker, Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-03-07).
Last night Hollywood held its most rigidly predictable exercise in conventional wisdom: the Golden Raspberry Awards, a.k.a. the Razzies, established to honor the worst films of the year. Sandra Bullock showed up to collect her Worst Actress and Worst Screen Couple prizes for All About Steve, then razzed the crowd...(Linked Sunday 2010-03-07.)
- Ex-New Orleans Cop Pleads Guilty To Massive Cover Up In Post-Katrina Shootings | TPMMuckraker. tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com (2010-02-26). "A veteran New Orleans police officer pleaded guilty yesterday to orchestrating an elaborate cover-up of a shooting in the days after Katrina in which police gunned down six unarmed city residents, killing two and seriously wounding four. ..." (Linked Friday 2010-02-26.)
- Cutting Up Your Credit Cards. Jesse Walker, Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-02-25).
"The banks and credit card companies have spent 50 years building a proprietary, locked-down system that handles roughly $2 trillion in credit card transactions and another $1.3 trillion in debit card transactions every year," Daniel Roth writes in Wired. But now "an army of engineers and entrepreneurs is rushing in,...(Linked Friday 2010-02-26.)
- Health Care and Radical Monopoly | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty. Google Alerts - http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/scratching-by-how-government-creates-poverty-as-we-know-it/ (2010-02-24).
The Freeman Online. Published by the Foundation for Economic Education .... in “ Scratching By: How the Government Creates Poverty as We Know It” (The ...(Linked Saturday 2010-02-27.)
- "Two-Gun" Mutualism? - Part 1. Shawn P. Wilbur, Out of the Libertarian Labyrinth (2010-02-27).
“TWO-GUN” MUTUALISMand theGOLDEN RULEThus one remains in perplexity and uncertainty, equally attracted and repulsed by two opposite attractors. Yes, the sympathies of our era are equally lively, equally energetic, whether it is a question of liberty or equality, of individuality or association. The faith in society is complete, but the...(Linked Saturday 2010-02-27.)
- Two-Gun Mutualism? - Part 2. Shawn P. Wilbur, Out of the Libertarian Labyrinth (2010-02-27).
“TWO-GUN” MUTUALISMand theGOLDEN RULE[continued]INDIVIDUALISM vs SOCIALISMIt is clear that, in all of this writing, it is necessary to understand by socialism, socialism as we define it in this work itself, which is as the exaggeration of the idea of association, or of society. For a number of years, we have...(Linked Saturday 2010-02-27.)