Another flabbergastingly stupid comment from Jim Pasco. Dr. Q, Gangsters in Blue (2010-10-18).
Since the issue of filming police became a hot topic in the mainstream press (see here), I've been very interested in hearing the arguments that police use to justify placing limits on the right to record cops. To me, the idea that people ought to be allowed to film police…(Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
Boofrickityhoo. Unqualified Offerings (2010-10-18). “Now, I do realize that there might be economic repercussions if bankers are unable to recover some of their losses. Fortunately, I have a solution: They can sell their own organs to raise cash.” (Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
The Explosion of Pink. Rachel, Our Bodies Our Blog (2010-10-12).
It's October, so the explosion of pink products at the grocery and other stores shouldn't surprise us: it's National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the time of the year when we're asked to eradicate breast cancer by buying pink-ribboned products. Over the years, many women's health activists have criticized the pink…(Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
Primary Sources for USA vs George Donnelly. George Donnelly, Anarchoblogs in English (2010-10-18).
As promised, here are my primary sources for the short film United States of America vs George Donnelly: How US Marshals Framed a Peaceful Photographer. I apologize for the delay. I'm working on getting even more information and hope to release it soon. Here is the raw video footage from…(Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
Kathryn Schulz on Wrongness. Igor Kandyba, FiveBooks (2010-10-17).
The author of Being Wrong says punditry is conducive to bombast and certainty, both major contributors to wrongness. You are not more likely to be right if you're on the left, or on the right. !!!@@e2;20ac;2dc;If you think like a fox you're more likely to have a sophisticated, nuanced way of thinking….(Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
Drug cops smash into wrong house, terrorize elderly couple – Chicago Breaking News. www.chicagobreakingnews.com (2010-10-18).
Andrij and Anna Jakymec were startled by a late night raid on their home by Cook County sheriff’s police gang crimes narcotics unit officers executing a search warrant. (E. Jason Wambsgans/ Chicago Tribune) Cook County sheriff’s police on a drug raid smashed into a Southwest Side house late Thursday night,(Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
Intellect as Evasion. Mel, BroadSnark (2010-10-14).
Normally, I like Jay Smooth. But this video really irritated me. I understand why people are critical of the anti-intellectualism displayed by right wing populists who seem so disdainful of reading books, processing facts, or critical thinking of any kind. But it amazes me when otherwise observant people can't see…(Linked Monday 2010-10-18.)
To Protect and Serve. Daily Brickbats (2010-10-19). Cops are here to keep us safe. (Cont’d.) By running red lights, crashing into bicyclists, and leaving the scene of the accident. (Linked Tuesday 2010-10-19.)
Little Miss Muffet. Jill, I Blame The Patriarchy (2010-10-19).
"Here is my question," announces blamer JenniferRuth. "Can arachnophobia be blamed on the patriarchy?" The answer is yes! Patriarchy is the gnarly firmament of dominant culture, and nothing may exist outside it; therefore absolutely everything can be blamed on it. This, friends, is the beauty of patriarchy-blaming. Whenever one encounters,…(Linked Tuesday 2010-10-19.)
Letters Respond to Lancet Home Birth Editorial With Feminist Perspective. Rachel, Our Bodies Our Blog (2010-10-19).
In July, The Lancet published an editorial, "Home Births: Proceed with Caution," in which the editors discussed the apparent safety of home birth for most low-risk women, contradictory or low-quality evidence on infant outcomes, and the recent, controversial Wax meta-analysis. Perhaps most likely to cause feminist double-takes was the following…(Linked Tuesday 2010-10-19.)
Civic Engagement is for Suckers. Kevin Carson, Center for a Stateless Society (2010-10-19).
I frequently encounter "progressives" who argue that political involvement is the only way to achieve significant change. Refusal to participate in the process is "defeatist" and "irresponsible." This, apparently, is what passes for gritty realism on much of the "progressive" Left. That argument is pessimistic beyond belief. The events of…(Linked Tuesday 2010-10-19.)
So, I got married... Anarchoblogs in English (2010-10-20). In steampunk attire, of course. Mazel tov, Db0! (Linked Wednesday 2010-10-20.)
Molly'sBlog 2010-10-17 17:35:00. mollymew, Anarchoblogs in English (2010-10-17).
AMERICAN ANARCHIST MOVEMENT MINNEAPOLIS:RNC (FOUR) AGREE TO PLEA BARGAIN:This the latest from the Defend the RNC 8 group. The four remaining defendants will likely enter a plea bargain next Tuesday. What this means the future will tell. Here’s the story.@@@@@@@@@@Important Update on the RNC 8 Case: New Hearing Tuesday 10/19…(Linked Wednesday 2010-10-20.)
Dissent in the age of Obama. Phil Dickens, Anarchoblogs in English (2010-10-05).
Following on from Sunday’s post on Barack Obama’s appalling civil liberties record, I have come across an interesting opinion piece by Cindy Sheehan. It seems that Obama’s line of dissidents carries echoes of the Watergate Scandal and even the Red Scare. Her thoughts can be found over on Al Jazeera;Recently,…(Linked Wednesday 2010-10-20.)
Genes are left-wing. Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing (2010-10-13).
Writing in the Guardian, clinical psychologist Oliver James claims that genetics has turned into a “left wing” science, because it has failed to identify any innate, genetic reasons why some people are winners and others are losers — suggesting that, instead, it’s society’s fault that some people end up on…(Linked Wednesday 2010-10-20.)
- timbray: Some travel-biz group should start organizing civil disobedience. Polite firm en-masse refusal to go along with security theatre. Twitter / timbray (2009-12-28).
timbray: Some travel-biz group should start organizing civil disobedience. Polite firm en-masse refusal to go along with security theatre.(Linked Tuesday 2009-12-29.)
- How Automakers Abuse Intellectual Property Laws To Force You To Pay More For Repairs. Techdirt (2009-12-29). “… as cars become more sophisticated and computerized, automakers are locking up access to those computers, and claiming that access is protected by copyrights. Mechanics are told they can only access the necessary diagnostics if they pay huge sums — meaning that many mechanics simply can’t repair certain cars, and car owners are forced to go to dealers, who charge significantly higher fees. There is no legitimate basis for this at all. It’s a clear misuse of intellectual property laws — which were never designed for this sort of thing — to prevent independent auto mechanics from repairing newer cars.” [R.G.: Right on, except that it’s not a “misuse.” The whole point of Intellectual Protectionism always has been to lock out independents from peacefully competing with privileged incumbents. The thing itself is the abuse.] (Linked Tuesday 2009-12-29.)
- Touché mesofunny, Epic Win FTW (2009-12-20).
Submitted by: dunno source via Submission Page(Linked Tuesday 2009-12-29.)
- Advisor: Deleting emails could make you happier. Lisa Katayama, Boing Boing (2009-12-03).
If people were just more aggressive about deleting irrelevant things and relevant things aren’t that important, they would probably be happier. Because I’m happier. So there must be something to it. Emails only take up virtual space, not literal square footage, so it’s easy to let them pile up. But…(Linked Tuesday 2009-12-29.)
- RIAA, MPAA and US Chamber of Commerce declare war on blind and disabled people. Boing Boing (2009-12-29). Intellectual Protectionism Vs. Technological Civilization and Accessibility for the Disabled (Linked Tuesday 2009-12-29.)
- SFPD cops from imaginary anti-dance-party squad steal laptops. Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing (2009-11-18).
Autumn sez, “DJs at local underground parties have been losing their laptops to police raids – even when they’re not DJing. They’re being told that they’ll lose their laptops – and often their livelihood – for an indefinite period of time, with no information on when or how to get…(Linked Friday 2009-11-20.)
- Why The Innocent Flee From The Police. William N. Grigg, Pro Libertate (2009-11-05).
“Why did he run?” This question thrusts itself upon us every time an unarmed or otherwise harmless person is gunned down while fleeing from police.Often that inquiry takes the form that assumes the guilt of the victim: “If he did nothing wrong, why did he run?” It’s also common for…(Linked Friday 2009-11-20.)
- 10 Year old tasered by Arkansas police. Don't Tase Me, Bro! (2009-11-20). Officer Dustin Bradshaw, a grown-ass man working for the Ozark government’s police force, decided to torture an “unruly” 10 year old with a 50,000-volt electric blast after she kicked him in the groin. Then he handcuffed her and arrested her for “disorderly conduct.” The charge is that she “screamed, kicked and resisted” when her mother tried to get her to take a shower before bed. Officer Dustin Bradshaw’s boss, Police Chief Jim Noggle, tells the press that he took no disciplinary action at all against Officer Dustin Bradshaw because “He had no other choice” than to torture, handcuff, and arrest her, because “he had to get the child under control.” No, he didn’t. (Linked Friday 2009-11-20.)
- RI Governor: Gay Couples can't be buried together. Don't Tase Me, Bro! (2009-11-20). Basher statism vs. bereaved families. In which hetero-politics goes beyond the usual meanness into utterly purposeless malice. (Linked Friday 2009-11-20.)