I can't count on anybody to understand. (Blogging Against Disablism Day 2010) amandaw, three rivers fog (2010-05-01).
(Cross-posted to FWD/Forward. See more BADD 2010 at Goldfish's blog.) I'm pretty open about my health issues. To be honest, I don't know any other way to be. I know how to strategically hide my disabilities from strangers in passing interactions, but from the people with whom I interact on…(Linked Monday 2010-05-10.)
Prison Rape. myglesias, Matthew Yglesias (2010-04-22).
(cc photo by amandabhslater) Excellent post by Liliana Segura: In 1994 in the case Farmer v. Brennan, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that a prison official's "deliberate indifference" to the risk that a trans woman prisoner named Dee Farmer would be raped when placed within the general population of a…(Linked Monday 2010-05-10.)
Welcome: Japan Council Against A&H Bombs. mom_in_las_vegas, Las Vegas Anarchoblogs (2010-05-07).
Welcome: Japan Council Against A&H Bombshttp://pjep.org/actions/?id=4618&t=1273035600The Japan Council against Atomic and Hydrogen Bombs (Gensuikyo) was established in September 1955. Since then it has waged various kinds of campaigns for: the prevention of nuclear war; the total ban on and the elimination of nuclear weapons; and support and solidarity with Hibakusha…(Linked Monday 2010-05-10.)
It's just like the time I got confused and accidentally went on an interstate bank-robbing spree. John Markley, The Superfluous Man (2010-05-03).
You know, the frequent attempts I see to excuse flagrant police misbehavior as honest mistakes are seldom very convincing, but at least the excuse is usually applied to acts committed in the field. It’s still usually a weak and often absurd excuse, and often applied to situations where the officer’s…(Linked Tuesday 2010-05-11.)
A Statement from SubRosa concerning May Day. JC, SubRosa – a community space (2010-05-06).
SubRosa was not involved in the events in downtown Santa Cruz on May Day. SubRosa is a community space that offers literature, art, coffee and performances. Like many businesses downtown, SubRosa provides a public bulletin board for people to post fliers. Jimi Haynes is not and has never been a volunteer…(Linked Tuesday 2010-05-11.)
NYT: @@e2;20ac;2dc;Attorney General Eric Holder Backs Miranda Limit for Terror Suspects' John Gruber, Daring Fireball (2010-05-10).
Disregard for the Bill of Rights is not limited to Republicans: Mr. Holder proposed carving out a broad new exception to the Miranda rights established in a landmark 1966 Supreme Court ruling. It generally forbids prosecutors from using as evidence statements made before suspects have been warned that they have…(Linked Tuesday 2010-05-11.)
Theories as Maps. Will Wilkinson, Will Wilkinson (2010-05-11).
David Schmidtz says theories are like maps; they help us get where we're trying to go. John Rawls' theory of justice posits a closed society as a simplifying assumption. If theories are like maps, as Schmidtz says, a simplifying assumption in a theory is like leaving current patterns of traffic…(Linked Wednesday 2010-05-12.)
- Nokia Sues Apple, Claims iPhone Infringes on Slew of Patents. Daring Fireball (2009-10-24). In which government-imposed patent monopolies once again promote science and the useful arts by rewarding innovative research and development. (Linked Saturday 2009-10-24.)
- Would-be bounty hunters nab innocent woman in Bristol. State & Regional Politics for Richmond Times-Dispatch (2009-10-25). 1. The bounty hunters didn’t just “nab the wrong woman.” They strip-searched and sexually assaulted her. 2. As a result, these three rampaging rapist thugs are facing arrest and multiple charges of abduction, robbery, and sexual battery. As well they should be — and I hope they rot. But care to guess how many charges they would be facing if they really were on that government police “drug task force” they pretended to be on, and did exactly the same thing to exactly the same innocent woman?
(If your guess is “any,” guess again.) (Linked Sunday 2009-10-25.)
- Sexist Beatdown: The Happy Hooker, Or Why Doesn't Steven Levitt Suck Dick For a Living? The Sexist (2009-10-25). In which Econo-Creep Central Junior Partners Levitt and Dubner examine the economics of sex work with a sample size of N=2. (Linked Sunday 2009-10-25.)
- Soviet Shoes, by David Henderson. EconLog (2009-09-30).
I mentioned in Tuesday’s post that one of my favorite passages from Scott Shane’s Dismantling Utopia is the passage about shoes. Commenter Bill asked me for the passage. Here it is: My informal survey suggested that some of the longest lines in Moscow were for shoes. At first I assumed…(Linked Sunday 2009-10-25.)
- Miroslav Pa@@c5;a1;ek's work, in pictures. Mike Gogulski – nostate.com, Anarchoblogs in English (2009-10-23).
A couple of post-police attack photos, taken on 6 September 2009, the day after. Bruising to right upper arm showing finger impressions of Miroslav Pa@@c5;a1;ek Slovak State Police hired thug Miroslav Pa@@c5;a1;ek has learned how to inflict great pain with his hands while leaving few if any marks on the…(Linked Sunday 2009-10-25.)
- How an insurance mandate could leave many worse off. Marginal Revolution (2009-10-26). In which it is discovered that forcing working folks to pay for big corporate health insurance, whether they want to or not, and whether they can afford to or not, might turn out to prop up big corporate health insurers at the expense of working folks. (Linked Monday 2009-10-26.)
- The Hand-Me-Down Style in American Punditry. Jesse Walker, Hit & Run (2009-10-22).
Tom Frank has devoted his latest Wall Street Journal column to Richard Hofstadter’s “The Paranoid Style in American Politics,” which he rereads in an effort to illuminate the Birthers, Glenn Beck, and the other usual suspects. Not content to recycle an article already written by seemingly every other pundit in…(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- Sara Kruzan: Life Without Parole for Killing her Pimp. Feministing (2009-10-23).
*Content is triggering* This story speaks for itself. From the free Sara Kruzan action page at change.org: “Life without parole means absolutely no opportunity for release,” said Senator Yee. (of California) “It also means minors are often left without access to programs and rehabilitative services while in prison. This sentence…(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- Dragnet against Domestic Terror Targets "Food Not Bombs" Group. Phil Leggiere, Don't Tase Me, Bro! (2009-10-21).
From Law and Disorder Radio: The government has stepped up its surveillance of a range of individuals and organizations, including volunteer-based groups. After providing free vegetarian food in hundreds of communities worldwide, Food Not Bombs has found itself a part of the domestic terrorism dragnet. Co-founded by Keith McHenry and…(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- Report on Slovak State Police attacks against Mike Gogulski, 5 September 2009. Mike Gogulski – nostate.com, Anarchoblogs in English (2009-10-21).
To all who pledged to support me in this matter, I would ask that you republish the below information as broadly as possible, and without delay. Also available in MS Word 2003, PDF, and MS-Word exported filtered HTML formats. REVISION HISTORY v1.0 – 20090906 Original version, real names, episodes 1-9,…(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- Live Free or Go To Jail: Irony, Logic and the Government. Kelly W. Patterson, Anarchoblogs in English (2009-10-15).
I’ve been working to put together another blog that will be based on ideas to eliminate many personal expenses and make money in non-tradition ways in order to lower your tax burden without starving or going to prison. Having settled on some variation of “Live Free or Die” as a…(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- Crisis And Opportunity. DarianW, Anarchoblogs in English (2009-10-16).
We might be living in a very different world five years from now. If we want this to be a better world, we have to put our hands into history. Notions of stability, freedom, and personal identity are tied up with authoritarian ideas. This must be broken. A weakened political…(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- Pro-Choice on Everything. Kerry Howley, Kerry Howley (2009-10-20).
I think choice-loving libertarians have an obligation to foster a more liberal and feminist culture. Todd Seavey and Daniel McCarthy strenuously disagree. Our combative exchange in the November issue of Reason is now online.(Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)
- [TX] Officer Welty sex assault of a family member. Behind The Blue Wall (2009-10-23). Rapists in uniform. (Cont’d.) (Linked Friday 2009-10-23.)