people stand up to racial profiling on the border. bfp, flip flopping joy (2011-03-04).
VIDEO: John Quinones goes undercover on the US/Mexican border as a Big Brown Man Speaking Spanish. Surprisingly–when a security guard (an actor) begins to harass John–people actually intervene, to the point of offering to help John and his companion escape when the security guard actor calls ICE. My favorite was…(Linked Saturday 2011-03-05.)
Social Justice Matters: The Myth of Cushy Prisons. s.e. smith, this ain't livin' (2011-03-03).
I recently re-encountered one of the more bizzarely pervasive myths about prisons when I was talking about the prison abolition movement with a friend: The idea that prisons are @@e2;20ac;2dc;cushy.' This person was trying to argue that because conditions in prisons are so terrific, prisoners have it better when they're…(Linked Saturday 2011-03-05.)
The Conscience of an Anarchist. PermaKent, PermaKent Permaculture Ideas of J. Kent Hastings (2011-03-04).
(From Mike Everling) KARL HESS CLUB MONDAY MARCH 21, 2011 [Award: The SEK3 Memorial Chauntecleer] Gary Chartier "The Conscience of an Anarchist" BOOK TOUR Dinah's Family Restaurant 6521 S. Sepulveda Blvd. (at Centinela Avenue) in West Los Angeles (310)…(Linked Saturday 2011-03-05.)
The Revolution Is Not Over (Continued) Jesse Walker, Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2011-03-05).
The BBC reports from Egypt: Egyptian protesters have stormed the headquarters of the secret police in Cairo, demanding that the organisation be dismantled. It followed rumours that officials were destroying documents that could be used in court to prove human rights abuses. On Friday, some 200 protesters stormed the agency's…(Linked Saturday 2011-03-05.)
Karl Hess, Jr. speaks at Karl Hess Club. PermaKent, PermaKent Permaculture Ideas of J. Kent Hastings (2011-02-20).
KARL HESS CLUB MONDAY FEBRUARY 21, 2011 Â [200th meeting] Karl Hess IV "Whither Conservation in the 21st Century: More Government or More Liberty?" Dinah's Family Restaurant 6521 S. Sepulveda Blvd. (at Centinela…(Linked Tuesday 2011-02-22.)
Apple’s Three Laws of Developers. isaiah's weblog (2011-02-15).
A developer may not injure Apple or, through inaction, allow Apple to come to harm. A developer must obey any orders given to it by Apple, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A developer must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not…(Linked Tuesday 2011-02-22.)
What Could Be Bad? Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2011-02-22).
Chris Matthews opines: "I think we're always right to back nationalism." He's talking about the ongoing Middle Eastern revolts, but the claim as it stands is perfectly general – and seems open to the occasional counterexample.(Linked Tuesday 2011-02-22.)
Craig Prescott's Family Claims he was Murdered for Being "Whistle Blower" lilprole, Modesto Anarcho (2011-02-21).
Craig Prescott.The mother of Craig Prescott released a statement, claiming that Craig Prescott was murdered in the downtown jail for being a “whistle blower” and released new information on the case. The Sheriff’s Department claims that Prescott died after being shot with a taser, but an autopsy report and a…(Linked Tuesday 2011-02-22.)
Solidarity Forever. DarianW, Anarchoblogs in English (2011-02-20).
"Acts of solidarity are going to be either gifts or entrepreneurial affairs, depending on how you understand the basic dynamics. If you wait around for someone in this tangled-up culture of ours to "deserve" solidarity, you'll just sit on your hands and nothing will change (except for the worse.) You…(Linked Tuesday 2011-02-22.)
notjessewalker: A rambling, incoherent tirade with semi-random references to Waco and Somalia — yes, Qaddafi is definitely a Hit & Run troll. Twitter / notjessewalker (2011-02-22).
notjessewalker: A rambling, incoherent tirade with semi-random references to Waco and Somalia — yes, Qaddafi is definitely a Hit & Run troll.(Linked Tuesday 2011-02-22.)
Chinese People Power: A Primer. Jesse Walker, Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2011-02-20).
While our eyes are glued on the collapsing Qaddafi regime, the authorities in China are getting jittery about a Jasmine Revolution of their own: Skittish domestic security officials responded with a mass show of force across China on Sunday after anonymous calls for protesters to stage a Chinese "Jasmine Revolution"…(Linked Wednesday 2011-02-23.)
Work It Out!/A Chambear! Workshop Series for Community Organizers of Color. inciteblog, INCITE! Blog (2011-02-16).
Spearheaded by Partnership for Immigrant Leadership and Action in collaboration with INCITE!, Critical Resistance, Data Center and Creative Interventions: * free lunch, free interpretaion, free workshops* *almuerzo, interpretaci@@c3;b3;n, talleres gratuitos* Work It Out!/A Chambear! is a skill-based workshop series designed by and for community organizers of color. This series will…(Linked Wednesday 2011-02-23.)
Lane's Forgotten Writings on Race. Roderick, Austro-Athenian Empire (2010-11-25).
Among libertarians, Rose Wilder Lane is best known as the author of the libertarian classics The Discovery of Freedom and Give Me Liberty. Outside of the libertarian movement, she is known – if at all – as the at least partial ghostwriter of her mother Laura Ingalls Wilder's popular Little…(Linked Friday 2010-11-26.)
Protecting Your Home From Afar With a Robot. By PETER WAYNER, NYT > Personal Tech (2010-11-10).
Wi-Fi-equipped robots can be operated remotely to protect a home. Some can even be modified to detect fire and carry an extinguisher.(Linked Sunday 2010-11-28.)
The Illegitimacy of the "Psychiatric Bible" Thomas S. Szasz M.D., The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty (2010-11-24).
"Mental health experts ask: Will anyone be normal?" So read the title of a July 27 Reuters report. The "experts" warned that the fifth version of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), scheduled for publication in 2013, "could mean that soon no-one will be classed as normal….(Linked Sunday 2010-11-28.)
Get The TSA By The Balls. DarianW, DarianWorden.com (2010-11-25).
I participated in a WeWontFly pamphlet distribution event at Newark Airport last night. It was organized by NJ Libertarian Party activists. Although everything went smoothly the terminal we were at was not very busy at the time of the event. TSA is engaged in a massive propaganda campaign to discredit…(Linked Sunday 2010-11-28.)
Jay Stuart Snelson in OC at KHCTF. PermaKent, PermaKent Permaculture Ideas of J. Kent Hastings (2010-11-24).
A NEW Orange County, CA Supperclub! THE Karl Hess Community Technology Forum A PROJECT OF THE RESILIENT COMMUNITY FOUNDATION The Resilient Community Foundation ("Rescomm.org") is pleased to present Jay Stuart Snelson at the inaugural meeting of the Karl Hess Community Technology Forum. Mr. Snelson is a California native, UCLA graduate…(Linked Monday 2010-11-29.)
SWAT Raids Gone Wrong — Paramilitary Policing Is Out of Control. Phillip S. Smith, Drug War Chronicle, AlterNet.org Main RSS Feed (2010-06-01).
In 1980, 2,884 SWAT deployments were recorded nationwide; the number today is estimated by experts at 50,000 annually or more.(Linked Wednesday 2010-06-02.)
C4SS May Fund Drive. Mariana Evica, Center for a Stateless Society (2010-05-30).
NEWS Here's where we are, who's moving us forward, and what our personnel are doing. Starting June 1st, Thomas L. Knapp will become the C4SS Media Coordinator. His pay will change to $640 monthly for 20 hours weekly labor in that role. He will also retain the title of Senior News…(Linked Wednesday 2010-06-02.)
You Can Get 15 Years in Jail For Recording an On-Duty Cop in Illinois. AlterNet.org Main RSS Feed (2010-05-20).
Wow... Last week, an Illinois judge rejected Chicago artist Christopher Drew's motion to dismiss the Class I felony charge against him. Drew is charged with violating the state's eavesdropping statute when he recorded his encounter with a police officer last December on the streets of Chicago. A Class I felony…(Linked Wednesday 2010-06-02.)
Freedom Blogs will mirror censored websites. Mike Gogulski – nostate.com, Anarchoblogs (2010-05-26).
I am pleased to announce, after reading Global Voices Advocacy's Guide: Mirroring a Censored WordPress Blog, that I am willing to mirror blogs or other websites at Freedom Blogs which: are worthy, in my view, of being defended against censorship; don't cause me to lose my paid hosting accounts or…(Linked Wednesday 2010-06-02.)
- The Breaking Windows Fallacy. Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-03-24). The only thing I’d differ from Jesse on is that I’m not actually sure that Democratic Party offices count as “private property” in the sense that individualists are out to defend it. But I am pretty sure that this is a stupid way to try and handle political controversies. And I’ll second the recommendation for Gene Sharp’s “198 Methods.” (Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- The U.S. Patent System vs. Innovation. John Gruber, Daring Fireball (2010-03-03).
Eric Von Hippel, professor of technological innovation at MIT, in an interview with The New York Times: "It's a bad scene right now. The social value of patents was supposed to be to encourage innovation — that's what society gets out of it. The net effect is that they decrease…(Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- @@e2;20ac;2dc;No Dashes or Spaces' Hall of Shame. Daring Fireball (2010-03-24). There is no reason ever to force your user to remove spaces or dashes from a credit card number or a phone number. Not being able to s/[^0-9]+// is sheer barbarism. (Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- Darian Worden speaks about left libertarianism @ 2010/03 Alt Expo. bile, blog of bile (2010-03-22).
Speaker: Darian Worden Speech: Libertarians are Left Affiliations: Alliance of the Libertarian Left, Center for a Stateless Society, Thinking Liberty Website: http://darianworden.com Event: AltExpo #5 Date: 2010/03/19 No related posts.(Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- Domestic Abuse. Daily Brickbats (2010-03-24). You got served and protected. (Cont’d.) (Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- gruber: .@ceolaf Why not movie plots too? Should Hitchcock have been awarded patent for "Innocent Protagonist Accused of Crime He Didn't Commit"? Twitter / gruber (2010-03-25). View tweets tagged “Don’t Give Them Any Ideas” … (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- shelleypowers: Happy Ada Lovelace Day to the women who kick butt in technology AND to the men who respect and appreciate us. Twitter / shelleypowers (2010-03-25). (Observed 24 March 2010.) (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- the contrast devloped by david brooks, among others, between. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2010-03-20).
the contrast devloped by david brooks, among others, between communitarianism and libertarianism, is tendentious. unless you're intention is to build a community through coercion – which is indeed the secret center of communitarianism – they are perfectly compatible. and if you think you can build a community through coercion, i…(Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- Google Alleges That Viacom @@e2;20ac;2dc;Secretly Uploaded Its Content to YouTube, Even While Publicly Complaining About Its Presence There' Daring Fireball (2010-03-25). “For years, Viacom continuously and secretly uploaded its contentto YouTube, even while publicly complaining about its presence there. It hired no fewer than 18 different marketing agencies to upload its content to the site.” You could read this as a story about the hypocrisy and unmitigated gall of the copyright monopolists. I prefer to read it as a story about how a flourishing countereconomy gives even the aggressive sort of ideological statists a positive incentive to work towards promoting the free world in practice. Not even a massive copyright monopolist like Viacom can afford to abstain from the anti-copyright countereconomy. Not because they agree with it politically, but for reasons of business, pure and simple. (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- @@e2;20ac;2dc;They're Cops; They're Going to Beat You' LewRockwell.com Blog (2010-03-25). You got served and protected. (Cont’d.) Keep in mind that when a gang of blue-bangers starts beating on you in a public place in front of God and everyone, you’re still better off not calling 911: if you do, they’ll only send reinforcements. (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- Consistency. John Markley, The Superfluous Man (2010-03-10).
One of the stories that been in the news is the DUI arrest of California State Senator Roy Ashburn, a consistent opponent of gay marriage, as he departed a gay bar with a male companion. Ashburn has subsequently acknowledged in the media that he’s gay, saying that he votes as…(Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- I Survived a Free Market Meal. Ryan W. McMaken, LewRockwell.com Blog (2010-03-23).
There's a Hispanic person who comes around my building during the day and sells burritos out of a cooler for $2.50. I'm pretty sure they're made by his wife (or other relative) in his kitchen. It's an all cash business. So, I can only guess that this food is prepared…(Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)