The Center Needs Your Help! James Tuttle, On ALLiance (2010-11-30).
Dear Fans of the Center (Centerians?), So this is how the story goes, retold for the recently Centered: C4SS asks the internet for donations and support. Out of the gate, there is a sudden influx of funds followed by a long period of nothing. This is when the writers and…(Linked Tuesday 2010-11-30.)
WikiLeaks: Bradley Manning isn't a criminal. He's a hero. – CSMonitor.com. www.csmonitor.com (2010-11-30).
Many are condemning Bradley Manning for allegedly providing WikiLeaks with sensitive reports about US foreign policy. But a government that can make war while keeping essential information about its justification and conduct secret is neither open nor fit for free people.(Linked Tuesday 2010-11-30.)
brooksie: Yet it might be useful to consider one more filter. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2010-11-30).
brooksie: Yet it might be useful to consider one more filter. Consider it the World Order filter. The fact that we live our lives amid order and not chaos is the great achievement of civilization. This order should not be taken for granted. This order is tenuously maintained by brave…(Linked Wednesday 2010-12-01.)
Opportunities & Announcements... James Tuttle, On ALLiance (2010-11-02).
Dear Friends, ALLies and Fellow Workers, Enrollment for C4SSdotorg!!!@@e2;20ac;26;#x2122;s Stateless University is open until November 8th. I will be the ombudsman for Introduction to Anarchism, Bravo Section. Check it out! If you are a member of Students for Liberty, then you have the opportunity to earn a Stateless U. scholarship. …(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
just one more time: people like ben bernanke and bill clinton. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2010-11-04).
just one more time: people like ben bernanke and bill clinton have no place as writers on an op-ed page. the first thing i'd ask fred hiatt or david shipley: are you satisfied that the person whose name is on the article actually wrote it? and second, if you want their point of view…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
He ordered the torture. Marja Erwin (2010-11-04).
He quibbles about whether the word applies, but brags about giving the order. All this shows that when the rulers commit atrocities, they have impunity.The ruling class is above the law.The scapegoat classes are below the law.The system creates corruption. It creates monsters. And it deflects anger away from itself…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
Evictions or Occupations? lilprole, Modesto Anarcho (2010-10-13).
People in Merced Protest eviction of homeless squatters.In Merced today, police and city workers began the eviction process of a homeless encampment that has existed for several years. Where will these people go? Many will simply go to other camps, or find shelters to go into. According to the City…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
The Media Aren’t Liberal. Radley Balko, Radley Balko: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-11-01).
For the last few months, my colleague Matt Welch has been tracking the positions of California's newspapers on Proposition 19, the ballot measure that would legalize marijuana for recreational use. At last count, 26 of the state!!!@@e2;20ac;26;#x2122;s 30 largest dailies (plus USA Today) had run editorials on the issue, and…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
Comic Book !!!@@e2;20ac;2dc;Pirated!!!@@e2;20ac;26;#x2122; On 4Chan, Author Joins Discussion... Watches Sales Soar. Stephan Kinsella, Center for the Study of Innovative Freedom (2010-11-01).
A TechDirt post by Mike Masnick: Comic Book !!!@@e2;20ac;2dc;Pirated!!!@@e2;20ac;26;#x2122; On 4Chan, Author Joins Discussion... Watches Sales Soar from the connect-with-fans dept Paul Watson points us to yet another example of how engaging with fans of your work (even if, technically, they infringed on your copyrights) can lead to pretty happy…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
Customs Officials Protect America from Wealthy Canadian Who Wanted to Spend Money Here. Radley Balko, Radley Balko: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-11-02).
Canadian poker pro Terrence Chan has twice been turned away at the U.S. border by customs officials. He describes the first time, a week ago Thursday. After an hour of waiting, I made it to the front, where I was asked the usual questions. Where do I live? What do…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
Sacramento Police Kill As More Information on Modesto Police Brutality Comes Forward. lilprole, Modesto Anarcho (2010-11-03).
In a situation mimicking police murders in Stockton, Modesto, and Bakersfield, Sacramento police are coming under fire for the shooting death of a 28 year old man on October 28th. Officers stopped a man on parole, and when he “reached into his waist band,” officers claim he was reaching for…(Linked Thursday 2010-11-04.)
- The Breaking Windows Fallacy. Jesse Walker: Reason Magazine articles and blog posts. (2010-03-24). The only thing I’d differ from Jesse on is that I’m not actually sure that Democratic Party offices count as “private property” in the sense that individualists are out to defend it. But I am pretty sure that this is a stupid way to try and handle political controversies. And I’ll second the recommendation for Gene Sharp’s “198 Methods.” (Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- The U.S. Patent System vs. Innovation. John Gruber, Daring Fireball (2010-03-03).
Eric Von Hippel, professor of technological innovation at MIT, in an interview with The New York Times: "It's a bad scene right now. The social value of patents was supposed to be to encourage innovation — that's what society gets out of it. The net effect is that they decrease…(Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- !!!@@e2;20ac;2dc;No Dashes or Spaces' Hall of Shame. Daring Fireball (2010-03-24). There is no reason ever to force your user to remove spaces or dashes from a credit card number or a phone number. Not being able to s/[^0-9]+// is sheer barbarism. (Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- Darian Worden speaks about left libertarianism @ 2010/03 Alt Expo. bile, blog of bile (2010-03-22).
Speaker: Darian Worden Speech: Libertarians are Left Affiliations: Alliance of the Libertarian Left, Center for a Stateless Society, Thinking Liberty Website: http://darianworden.com Event: AltExpo #5 Date: 2010/03/19 No related posts.(Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- Domestic Abuse. Daily Brickbats (2010-03-24). You got served and protected. (Cont’d.) (Linked Wednesday 2010-03-24.)
- gruber: .@ceolaf Why not movie plots too? Should Hitchcock have been awarded patent for "Innocent Protagonist Accused of Crime He Didn't Commit"? Twitter / gruber (2010-03-25). View tweets tagged “Don’t Give Them Any Ideas” … (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- shelleypowers: Happy Ada Lovelace Day to the women who kick butt in technology AND to the men who respect and appreciate us. Twitter / shelleypowers (2010-03-25). (Observed 24 March 2010.) (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- the contrast devloped by david brooks, among others, between. Captain Capitulation, eye of the storm (2010-03-20).
the contrast devloped by david brooks, among others, between communitarianism and libertarianism, is tendentious. unless you're intention is to build a community through coercion – which is indeed the secret center of communitarianism – they are perfectly compatible. and if you think you can build a community through coercion, i…(Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- Google Alleges That Viacom !!!@@e2;20ac;2dc;Secretly Uploaded Its Content to YouTube, Even While Publicly Complaining About Its Presence There' Daring Fireball (2010-03-25). “For years, Viacom continuously and secretly uploaded its contentto YouTube, even while publicly complaining about its presence there. It hired no fewer than 18 different marketing agencies to upload its content to the site.” You could read this as a story about the hypocrisy and unmitigated gall of the copyright monopolists. I prefer to read it as a story about how a flourishing countereconomy gives even the aggressive sort of ideological statists a positive incentive to work towards promoting the free world in practice. Not even a massive copyright monopolist like Viacom can afford to abstain from the anti-copyright countereconomy. Not because they agree with it politically, but for reasons of business, pure and simple. (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- !!!@@e2;20ac;2dc;They're Cops; They're Going to Beat You' LewRockwell.com Blog (2010-03-25). You got served and protected. (Cont’d.) Keep in mind that when a gang of blue-bangers starts beating on you in a public place in front of God and everyone, you’re still better off not calling 911: if you do, they’ll only send reinforcements. (Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- Consistency. John Markley, The Superfluous Man (2010-03-10).
One of the stories that been in the news is the DUI arrest of California State Senator Roy Ashburn, a consistent opponent of gay marriage, as he departed a gay bar with a male companion. Ashburn has subsequently acknowledged in the media that he’s gay, saying that he votes as…(Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)
- I Survived a Free Market Meal. Ryan W. McMaken, LewRockwell.com Blog (2010-03-23).
There's a Hispanic person who comes around my building during the day and sells burritos out of a cooler for $2.50. I'm pretty sure they're made by his wife (or other relative) in his kitchen. It's an all cash business. So, I can only guess that this food is prepared…(Linked Thursday 2010-03-25.)